06 385 4176
Depart by jet boat from Pipiriki (please make your own way to Pipiriki or contact us if you require transport) enjoy the scenery and check out the river on your tour up to the Bridge to Nowhere Lodge. Leaving the jet boat and after some paddling instructions, board your Canadian canoe or kayak. Leave the rest of the world behind and experience the peace and tranquility as you drift back down the river. Stop and explore points of interest to you. Hear the sounds of the river and the surrounding bush. Enjoy it at its unspoilt best - a part of New Zealand as it was centuries ago.
We will meet you at the Raetihi Holiday Park, at 8am you will be shuttled to Whakahoro. Our shuttle driver will give you paddle instruction, and send you on your way. You will see the highlights of the majestic Whanganui River with its fern-clad gorges and after a night at John Coull*, you will paddle to Mangapurua (Bridge to Nowhere) Landing – gateway to the famous ‘Bridge to Nowhere’. After a walk to the Bridge, and back to the landing you will be met by jet boat and taken back down to Pipiriki where our shuttle driver will be waiting to take you to your car.
* Please note that accommodation for John Coull is booked through DoC
• Shuttle to and from the river; including jet boat
• Canoe/kayak hire, we have a very high standard for our canoes/kayaks. We regularly have customers complementing our equipment, compared to those of other operators.
• Storage barrels – for a double canoe you will get one large barrel and one small barrel per person. The barrels measure: Small - 260mm wide 460mm deep Large - 340mm wide 600mm deep
• Paddles including a spare paddle
• We offer hot drinks during your briefing
• We offer drinks, and a snack at the end of your trip
• River Maps are provided (but must be returned at the completion of the journey);
• Vehicles can be stored safely at our Base FREE!
• If you are backpacking, we can store your packs FREE!
• We provide you with a full safety briefing, instructions and on the water practice before you start on your trip. Customers regularly thank us at the end of the trip, for the extra detail we provide.
• We work very closely with the Bridge to Nowhere Lodge and Jet Boat Tours. On the last two days of your trip Ben drives Maritime New Zealand Certified Jet Boats to Bridge to Nowhere, these can be used for Jet Boat rides to Pipiriki or for rescues just in case they are needed (surcharge may apply);
• HOT SHOWER at the end of your trip FREE
We price our trips competitively and ensure that we can give you, our customer the BEST EQUIPMENT and BEST EXPERIENCE on the Whanganui River
© Whanganui River Canoes
Website by Pete Smithies Media
Photography by Charles Ranginui